Light Christian Science nursing care is provided, including assistance with mobility, getting dressed, personal care, and bathing. Gentle reminders and guidance are provided as needed, as well as an escort to meals and activities.
Daily bed making and weekly linen change is provided. Weekly housekeeping and personal laundry services are provided.
Sheltered Care guests have access to gardens, patios, our Bible Research Library and study room, and the 5th Floor sun room. An escort is available, when appropriate.
Meals and Snacks
Sheltered Care guests are served three hot meals a day in their own dining room. Mealtimes are 8:00 AM, 12:30 PM, and 6:00 PM. Snacks may be served between meals and in the evening, as needed. Special arrangements may be made for visitors to join guests for meals in Arden Wood’s Main Dining Room.
The Sheltered Care wing is staffed by Christian Science nurses from 7 AM until midnight. During the nighttime hours, the staff from the Christian Science nursing floor is on call for any needs of the Sheltered Care guests. Regular checks are made throughout the night. The Director of Christian Science Nursing provides oversight for the Sheltered Care Program.
Activities and Outings
Group activities are offered almost every day of the week: Monitor Mondays, Tuesdays at the (AW) Cinema, Wednesday TMC testimony meeting webcast viewing, Friday Drives. Specific activities include:
- Reading the Bible Lesson and articles from the Christian Science periodicals
- Joining our Bible study group and attending weekly hymn sings
- Taking art classes — watercolor, collage, card-making, clay
- Doing puzzles and craft projects,
- Watching movies, listening to audio books, joining the Music Appreciation Club,
- Playing ball games (indoors)
- Enjoying tea parties (holidays, special occasions, every few months)
- Taking walks/rides in our gardens and along our pathways,
- Going to the beach, Golden Gate Park or other local destinations on Arden Wood’s bus (Friday “stay on the bus” Drives),
- Singing show tunes and old classics – spontaneously in the hall!
As a general rule, Sheltered Care guests do not join the outings and activities scheduled for Independent Living residents. Sheltered Care guests are welcome to attend Arden Wood events such as hymn sings, musical programs and inspirational talks.
Arden Wood has a car and a shuttle bus for scheduled group outings. Guests are welcome to go on outings with family and friends, as appropriate.
Transportation to nearby Ninth Church of Christ, Scientist, San Francisco is available for those individuals who are able to get on and off the Arden Wood bus with minimal assistance and to walk the distance from their room to the bus and from the bus to the church and back. Guests who do not have this demonstrated mobility can listen to live broadcasts of the church services in their rooms or gathered together in the activity room.